Department of Field Crops and Medicinal Plants, College of Agricultural Engineering Sciences, Salahaddin University-Erbil, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
This study aimed to investigate the effects of different inter and intra-row spacing on the growth analysis and some yield components of sweet corn (Zea mays L.). The experiment was conducted under field conditions at Qushtapa zones of northern Iraq in the main cropping season of 2020-21. Three different inter and intra-row spacing treatments 45, 60 and 75 cm and 10 and 15 cm were applied in a randomized complete block design (RCBD) with three replications, making a total of six plots, each plot on the field was measured 2m width by 3m length 6 m2. The study assessed various growth parameters and yield attributes. The results indicated that inter-row spacing significantly influenced ear length (cm) number of kernels per ear, net assimilation rate (NAR) and light transmission ratio (LTR) which significantly possessed higher mean value at 75cm inter-row spacing. In contrast, interaction treatments of inter-row spacing ×intra-row spacing recorder highest mean values of ear length (cm), number of kernels per ear and light transmission ratio (LTR) at interaction treatments of (inter 75cm × intra 15cm) respectively. As for net assimilation rate (NAR) this trait postulate higher mean at treatment interaction of (inter 75cm × intra 10cm). These findings provide valuable insights into optimizing inter and intra-row spacing for hybrid maize cultivation to enhance productivity.
- Biya, M. (2019). Effect of inter-and intra-row spacing on yield and yield components of maize qpm hybrid, bhqpy545 in southwestern ethiopia. International Journal of Research Studies in Science, Engineering and Technology, 6(10): 19-26.
- Duncan, D. B. (1975). T tests and intervals for comparisons suggested by the data. Biometrics, 339-359.
- Efthimiadou, A., Bilalis, D., Karkanis, A., Froud-Williams, B., and Eleftherochorinos, I. (2009). Effects of cultural system (organic and conventional) on growth, photosynthesis and yield components of sweet corn (Zea mays L.) under semi-arid environment. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca, 37(2): 104-111.
- Getaneh, L., Belete, K., and Tana, T. (2016). Growth and Productivity of Maize (Zea mays L.) as Influenced by Inter and Intra-Row Spacing in Kombolcha, Eastern Ethiopia. Journal of Biology, 6(13): 90-101.
- Gobeze, Y. L., Ceronio, G. M., and Van Rensburg, L. D. (2012). Effect of row spacing and plant density on yield and yield component of maize (Zea mays L.) under irrigation. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, 2(2B): 263.
- Gozubenli, H., Kilinc, M., Sener, O., and Konuskan, O. (2004). Effects of single and twin row planting on yield and yield components in maize. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 3(2): 203-206.
- He, P., Ding, X., Bai, J., Zhang, J., Liu, P., Ren, B., and Zhao, B. (2022). Maize hybrid yield and physiological response to plant density across four decades in China. Agronomy Journal, 114(5): 2886-2904.
- Kandil, A. A., Sharief, A. E., and Abozied, A. M. A. (2017). Maize hybrids yield as affected by inter and intra row spacing. International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology, 2(2): 643-652.
- Kebede, M. B. (2019). Effect of inter and intra row spacing on growth, yield components and yield of hybrid maize (Zea mays L.) varieties at Haramaya, Eastern Ethiopia. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 10(9): 1548-1564.
- Konuskan, O. (2000). Effects of plant density on yield and yield related characters of some maize hybrids grown in hatay conditions as second crop. Mount Kenya University, Thika, Kenya, 21(2): 31-34.
- Lashkari, M., Madani, H., Ardakani, M. R., Golzardi, F., and Zargari, K. (2011). Effect of plant density on yield and yield components of different corn (Zea mays L.) hybrids. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, 10(3): 450-457.
- Maddonni, G. A., Otegui, M. E., and Cirilo, A. G. (2001). Plant population density, row spacing and hybrid effects on maize canopy architecture and light attenuation. Field Crops Research, 71(3): 183-193.
- Maqbool, M. M., Tanveer, A., Ali, A., Abbas, M. N., Imran, M., Ahmad, M., and Abid, A. A. (2016). Growth and yield response of maize (Zea mays) to inter and intra-row weed competition under different fertilizer application methods. Planta Daninha, 34(1): 47-56.
- Pattey, E., Rochette, P., Desjardins, R. L., and Dube, P. A. (1991). Estimation of the net CO2 assimilation rate of a maize (Zea mays L.) canopy from leaf chamber measurements. Agricultural and forest meteorology, 55(1-2): 37-57.
- (2005). Statistical Analysis System. SAS institute Inc., NC, USA. Release 82.
- Sharifi, R. S., Sedghi, M., and Gholipouri, A. (2009). Effect of population density on yield and yield attributes of maize hybrids. Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 4(4): 375-379.
- Testa, G., Reyneri, A., and Blandino, M. (2016). Maize grain yield enhancement through high plant density cultivation with different inter-row and intra-row spacings. European Journal of Agronomy, 72: 28-37.
- Williams, R. F. (1946). The physiology of plant growth with special reference to the concept of net assimilation rate. Annals of Botany, 10(37): 41-72.
- Wu, F. (2006). Mycotoxin reduction in Bt corn: potential economic, health, and regulatory impacts. Transgenic research, 15: 277-289.