Department of Horticulture and landscape gardening, College of Agriculture, University of Anbar, Ramadi, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
The experiment was carried out in one of the private orchards in the Saqlawiya sub-district of Fallujah district for the spring season 2021 to study the effect of foliar spraying with potassium silicate and Agri-fertilizer under the trade name IQ COMBI, which contains some microelements on some vegetative and chemical growth characteristics of the Apple cv. Ibrahimi. The spraying with potassium silicate included four levels (0, 1.5, 3, 4.5 ml. L-1) represents the first factor is symbolized by (S0, S1, S2 and S3) sequentially, while spraying with Agri-fertilizer IQ COMBI, represent the second factor included three levels its symbol is (Q0, Q1 and Q2) sequentially. The results can be summarized as follows: The foliar spraying with potassium silicate had a significant effect in improving the vegetative and chemical growth characteristics, as the level S2 gave the highest area per leaf of 32.13 cm2, while the level S3 gave the highest content of chlorophyll in leaves of 64.61 mg.100gm-1 fresh weight and highest content of carbohydrate in the branches was 9.73% compared to the level S0. The foliar spraying with Agri-fertilizer IQ COMBI had a significant effect on improving the vegetative growth and chemical characteristics, as Q2 gave the highest increase in the most studied traits. The interaction between the two factors of the study had a significant effect on all studied traits.
- Al-Wasfy, M. M. (2013). Response of Sakkoti date palms to foliar application of royal jelly, silicon and vitamins B. Journal of American Science, 9(5): 315-321.
- Allen, V. B., and J. P. David. (2006). Handbook plant nutrition. Taylor and Francis Group.
- Al-Mehemdi, D. F. H., and Al-Ani, A. A. I. (2021). The response of Brahimi apple’s Cultivar to Foliar Application of Glycyrrhizin Extract (GLE) and Humic Acid (HA). Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, 15(1): 2377.
- Ali, M., Harhash, M. M., Mahmoud, R. I., and Kabel, S. A. (2019). Effect of Foliar Application of Potassium Silicate and Amino Acids on Growth, Yield and Fruit Quality of 'keitte' Mango Trees. Journal of the Advances in Agricultural Researches, 24(2): 238-251.
- Amit, J. P. B., Bharat, B., and Deep, J. B. (2014). Influence of girdling and zinc and boron application on growth, quality and leaf nutrient status of olive cv. Frontoio. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 9(18): 1354-1361.
- Bajracharya, D. (1999). Experiments in plant physiology. Narosa publishing house New Delhi, Madras, Bombay, Calcutta, 51-53.
- Bal, J. S. (2005). Fruit Growing. 3rd edt. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi- 110002.
- Blevins, D. G., and Lukaszewski, K. M. (1998). Boron in plant structure and function. Annual review of plant biology, 49(1): 481-500.
- Cline, J., and Gardner, J. (2005). Commercial production of ‘HoneycrispTM’apples in Ontario Ministry of Agriculture. Food, and Rural Affairs, Factsheet Order, (05-047), pp 12-27.
- El-Shazly, S. M., and Dris, R. (2004). Response of ‘Anna’apple trees to foliar sprays of chelated iron, manganese and zinc. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, 2(3): 126-130.
- Hasani, M., Zamani, Z., Savaghebi, G., and Fatahi, R. (2012). Effects of zinc and manganese as foliar spray on pomegranate yield, fruit quality and leaf minerals. Journal of soil science and plant nutrition, 12(3): 471-480.
- Havlin, J. L., Beaton, J. D., Tisdale, S. L., and Nelson, W. L. (2005). Soil fertility and fertilizers. Pearson Prentice Hall, NJ. Soil fertility and fertilizers. 7th ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, NJ.
- Joslyn, M. A. (1970). Analítico: Methods in food analysis. Physical, chemical, and instrumental methods of analysis.
- Kamenidou, S., Cavins, T. J., and Marek, S. (2010). Silicon supplements affect floricultural quality traits and elemental nutrient concentrations of greenhouse produced gerbera. Scientia Horticulturae, 123(3): 390-394.
- Kong, A. K., and L. B. Kong. (2012). Application of silicon fertilizer science and technology. Modern Agricultural Science and Technology, 6: 321–23.
- Liang, Y., Nikolic, M., Bélanger, R., Gong, H., and Song, A. (2015). Silicon in agriculture. Silicon-mediated tolerance to salt stress. Springer Science, 123-142.
- Liang, Y., Sun, W., Zhu, Y. G., and Christie, P. (2007). Mechanisms of silicon-mediated alleviation of abiotic stresses in higher plants: a review. Environmental pollution, 147(2): 422-428.
- Mendel, R. R., and HaÈnsch, R. (2002). Molybdoenzymes and molybdenum cofactor in plants. Journal of experimental botany, 53(375): 1689-1698.
- Mosa, W. F. A. E., El-Megeed, N. A. A., and Paszt, L. S. (2015). The effect of the foliar application of potassium, calcium, boron and humic acid on vegetative growth, fruit set, leaf mineral, yield and fruit quality of'Anna'apple trees. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture, 8(4): 224-234.
- Mansour, N. (2014). Enhancement Vegetative Growth and Leaf Mineral Content of Manzanillo Olive Transplants Using Different Levels of Nitrogen and Molybdenum. Journal of Horticultural Sciences and Ornamental Plants, 6(2):41-49.
- Prajapati, K., and Modi, H. A. (2012). The importance of potassium in plant growth–a review. Indian Journal of Plant Sciences, 1(02-03): 177-186.
- Savvas, D., Giotis, D., Chatzieustratiou, E., Bakea, M., and Patakioutas, G. (2009). Silicon supply in soilless cultivations of zucchini alleviates stress induced by salinity and powdery mildew infections. Environmental and experimental botany, 65(1): 11-17.