Department of Food Sciences, College of Agriculture, Tikrit University, Tikrit, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
This study was conducted in the laboratories of the College of Agriculture, Tikrit University / Department of Food Science, and at the Tikrit Mill. In this study, spelled flour was replaced with sweet potato flour with replacement rates 5, 10 and 15%. And the results showed the following: A noticeable decrease in the moisture content of the compound flour samples compared to the standard control sample. It also showed a decrease in the protein content. This decrease was most intense when the replacement ratios increased, in the highest level of decrease was recorded at the replacement rate of 15%. The results also showed a significant increase in the content of ash and fats compared to the standard sample of the control, while the concentration of 15% recorded the highest value of absorbance in the theological properties when measuring with a farinograph device. The same is the case for amylograph, Whereas, the higher the replacement rates, the higher the degree of gelatinization and the degree of viscosity, and it is clear from this study that 15% is the best percentage in terms of the theological properties of the product.
- Adeleke, R. O., and Odedeji, J. O. (2010). Functional properties of wheat and sweet potato flour blends. Pakistan journal of nutrition, 9(6): 535-538.
- Dako, E., Retta, N., and Desse, G. (2016). Effect of blending on selected sweet potato flour with wheat flour on nutritional, anti-nutritional and sensory qualities of bread. Global Journal of Science Frontier Research: D agriculture and Veterinary, 16(4):31-41.
- Fontes, L. C. B., Sivi, T. C., Ramos, K. K., and Queiroz, F. P. C. (2012). Efeito das condições operacionais no processo de desidratação osmótica de batata-doce. Revista brasileira de produtos agroindustriais, 14(1): 1-13.
- García-Rebollar, P., Cámara, L., Lázaro, R. P., Dapoza, C., Pérez-Maldonado, R., and Mateos, G. G. (2016). Influence of the origin of the beans on the chemical composition and nutritive value of commercial soybean meals. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 221: 245-261.
- Kawamoto, H., Touno, E., Uchino, H., and Uozumi, S. (2013). Comparison of fermentation quality and ruminal degradability between two different harvest timings of forage soybean (G lycine max (L.) M err.) ensiled with the corn‐silage system. Grassland Science, 59(2): 120-123.
- Low, J. W., and Van Jaarsveld, P. J. (2008). The potential contribution of bread buns fortified with β-carotene–rich sweet potato in Central Mozambique. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 29(2): 98-107.
- Malomo, S. A., Eleyinmi, A. F., and Fashakin, J. B. (2011). Chemical composition, rheological properties and bread making potentials of composite flours from breadfruit, breadnut and wheat. African Journal of Food Science, 5(7): 400-410.
- Nada, F. A. (2009). Studies on utilization of flour of some tropical crops in the production of bread (Doctoral dissertation, ph. D Thesis of Institute of Africa Research and studies. Cairo University. Egypt).
- Nafeesa, A., Kolawole O, F., and John O, A. (2012). Effect of cultivar on quality attributes of sweet potato fries and crisps. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2012.
- Nawaz, A., Xiong, Z., Li, Q., Xiong, H., Liu, J., Chen, L., ... and Regenstein, J. M. (2019). Effect of wheat flour replacement with potato powder on dough rheology, physiochemical and microstructural properties of instant noodles. Journal of food processing and preservation, 43(7): e13995.
- Pareyt, B., and Delcour, J. A. (2008). The role of wheat flour constituents, sugar, and fat in low moisture cereal based products: a review on sugar-snap cookies. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 48(9): 824-839.
- SILVA, R. (2010). Caracterização físico-química de farinha de batata-doce para produtos de panificação. Universidade Estadual do Sudoeste da Bahia. Itapetinga, Bahia, 20.
- Van Hung, P., and Morita, N. (2004). Dough properties and bread quality of flours supplemented with cross-linked cornstarches. Food Research International, 37(5): 461-467.
- Vargas-Bello-Pérez, E., Mustafa, A. F., and Seguin, P. (2008): Effects of feeding forage soybean silage on milk production, nutrient digestion, and ruminal fermentation of lactating dairy cows. Journal of dairy science, 91(1): 229-235.
- Zuraida, N. (2003). Sweet potato as an alternative food supplement during rice storage. Journal Lubang Pertanian. 22(4):150-155.