General Company for Agricultural Supplies/ Ministry of Agriculture,Iraq
Department of Field Crops, College of Agriculture, University of Anbar, Ramadi, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
A field experiment was carried out in the western parts of Iraq aimed to screen 21 wheat genotypes introduced to arid and semi-arid areas by the Ministry of Science and technology beside 3 registered genotypes (IRAQ, Diar, and Mahmodiah) for comparison. A randomized completely block design was used to achieve this experiment with three replications for each genotype. The results of this study showed that recently introduced genotypes and planted for the second season sequentially in the western parts of Iraq of which promising genotypes to be nominated for other plant breeding programs beside they can be registered after planting them for other seasons to ensure their stability in terms of growth and production under such conditions. The seeds of genotypes varied in their content of Mo and N and this indicates their variation in growth and production as well as metabolism processes in the plant. Also, this was confirmed the variation in the activity of NR enzyme which in turn depends on Mo and assimilates N in the plant. It is worth mentioning that the activity of this enzyme was superior in genotype 29 which also was superior in yield (ton ha-1). Genotype 31 was superior by giving the highest average of yield over most introduced genotypes as well as registered ones. It can be recommended to use genotypes with high yields to be used in plant breeding programs.
- Abood, N. M., Ajaj, H. A., and Hamidi, I. H. (2019). Effect of Foliar application with some amino acids Concentration in grain filling period and yield and its Quality of three wheat cultivars (Triticum aestivum L.). Anbar Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 17(1): 44-61.
- Addis, W., and Abebaw, A. (2017). Determination of heavy metal concentration in soils used for cultivation of Allium sativum L.(garlic) in East Gojjam Zone, Amhara Region, Ethiopia. Cogent Chemistry, 3(1): 1419422.
- Agricultural Statistics Administration- The Central statistics organization/iraq (2017). Report of crops and vegetable production. Ministry of Agriculture-iraq.
- Agricultural Statistics Administration- The Central statistics organization/iraq (2019). Report of crops and vegetable production. Ministry of Agriculture-iraq.
- Agricultural Statistics Administration- The Central statistics organization/iraq (2020). Report of crops and vegetable production. Ministry of Agriculture-iraq.
- Al-Amiry, M. M., and Al-Ubaidi, M. O. (2016). Evaluation of several genotypes of wheat and triticale under rain fed conditions in Sulaimaniyah province. Anbar Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 14(1): 163-171.
- AL-Asseel, A. S. M., and Madb, D. S. (2019). Response of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) cultivars for sowing dates. Tikrit Journal for Agricultural Sciences, 18(2): 41-53.
- Al-Fahdawi, H. M., and Muslih, M. H. (2018). Testing the ability of soft wheat genotypes in the formation of tillers. Iraqi Journal Desert Studies, 8(1): 36-40.
- Al-Fahdawi, H. M. (2019). Effect of compound fertilizer (DAP) on growth and yield of soft wheat varieties Triticum aestivum L. Anbar Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 17(1): 76-86.
- Al-Jana, M. H. N., E. R. S. AL Hamdawi, and M. H. Alkifaei. (2017). Evaluation of new wheat Triticum aestivum L. genotypes under al Muthanna environment. Journal of Al-Muthanna for Agricultural Sciences, 6(1): 85-92.
- Al-Rawey, K. M., and Khalaf Allah, A. A. M. (2000). Design and analysis the Agricultural tests. Dar Al-kutub for printing and copyrighting, the second print, University of Mosel.
- Ayer, D. K., Sharma, A., Ojha, B. R., Paudel, A., and Dhakal, K. (2017). Correlation and path coefficient analysis in advanced wheat genotypes. SAARC Journal of Agriculture, 15(1): 1-12.
- Baktash, F. Y., and Naes, M. A. (2016). Evaluation Bread Wheat Pure lines under effect of different seeding rates for grain yield and it, s component. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 47(5): 1132–1140.
- Biswal, A. K., Pattanayak, G. K., Pandey, S. S., Leelavathi, S., Reddy, V. S., and Tripathy, B. C. (2012). Light intensity-dependent modulation of chlorophyll b biosynthesis and photosynthesis by overexpression of chlorophyllide a oxygenase in tobacco. Plant physiology, 159(1): 433-449.
- Christopher, J. T., Christopher, M. J., Borrell, A. K., Fletcher, S., and Chenu, K. (2016). Stay-green traits to improve wheat adaptation in well-watered and water-limited environments. Journal of Experimental Botany, 67(17): 5159-5172.
- Dijk, D. van, and Houba, V. J. G. (2008). Homogeneity and stability of materials distributed within the wageningen evaluating programmes for analytical laboratories.
- FAO. (2017) Online statistical database: food balance. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. Available online at http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/.
- Ford, B., Deng, W., Clausen, J., Oliver, S., Boden, S., Hemming, M., and Trevaskis, B. (2016). Barley (Hordeum vulgare) circadian clock genes can respond rapidly to temperature in an EARLY FLOWERING 3-dependent manner. Journal of Experimental Botany, 67(18): 5517-5528.
- Garg, S. (2021). Role and Hormonal Regulation of Nitrate Reductase Activity in Higher Plants.
- Ghonaim, M. M., Mohamed, H. I., and Omran, A. A. (2021). Evaluation of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) salt stress tolerance using physiological parameters and retrotransposon-based markers. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 68(1): 227-242.
- González, F. G., Terrile, I. I., and Falcón, M. O. (2011). Spike fertility and duration of stem elongation as promising traits to improve potential grain number (and yield): variation in modern Argentinean wheats. Crop Science, 51(4): 1693-1702.
- Grieder, C., Hund, A., and Walter, A. (2015). Image based phenotyping during winter: a powerful tool to assess wheat genetic variation in growth response to temperature. Functional Plant Biology, 42(4): 387-396.
- Guo, Z., and Schnurbusch, T. (2015). Variation of floret fertility in hexaploid wheat revealed by tiller removal. Journal of experimental botany, 66(19): 5945-5958.
- Guo, Z., Slafer, G. A., and Schnurbusch, T. (2016). Genotypic variation in spike fertility traits and ovary size as determinants of floret and grain survival rate in wheat. Journal of experimental botany, 67(14): 4221-4230.
- Guo, Z., Liu, G., Röder, M. S., Reif, J. C., Ganal, M. W., and Schnurbusch, T. (2018). Genome‐wide association analyses of plant growth traits during the stem elongation phase in wheat. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 16(12): 2042-2052.
- Hamblin, J., Stefanova, K., and Angessa, T. T. (2014). Variation in Chlorophyll Content per Unit Leaf Area in Spring Wheat and Implications for Selection in Segregating Material. PLoS One, 9(3): 1-9.
- Hashim, E. K., Hassan, S. F., Abed, B. A., and Flaih, H. M. (2017). Role of flag leaf in wheat yield. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 48(3): 782-790
- Igrejas, G., Ikeda, T., and Guzman, C. (2020). Wheat Quality for Improving Processing and Human Health. Springer International Publishing.
- Kaiser, D. E., Wiersma, J. J., and Anderson, J. A. (2014). Genotype and Environment Variation in Elemental Composition of Spring Wheat Flag Leaves. Agronomy Journal, 106:(1): 324–336.
- Kiss, T., Dixon, L. E., Soltész, A., Bányai, J., Mayer, M., Balla, K., ... and Karsai, I. (2017). Effects of ambient temperature in association with photoperiod on phenology and on the expressions of major plant developmental genes in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant, Cell and Environment, 40(8): 1629-1642.
- Kohl, S., Hollmann, J., Erban, A., Kopka, J., Riewe, D., Weschke, W., and Weber, H. (2015). Metabolic and transcriptional transitions in barley glumes reveal a role as transitory resource buffers during endosperm filling. Journal of experimental botany, 66(5): 1397-1411.
- Koppolu, R., and Schnurbusch, T. (2019). Developmental pathways for shaping spike inflorescence architecture in barley and wheat. Journal of integrative plant biology, 61(3): 278-295.
- Li, C., Lin, H., Chen, A., Lau, M., Jernstedt, J., and Dubcovsky, J. (2019). Wheat VRN1, FUL2 and FUL3 play critical and redundant roles in spikelet development and spike determinacy. Development, 146(14): dev175398.
- Liu, J., Huang, L., Wang, C., Liu, Y., Yan, Z., Wang, Z., Xiang, L., Zhong, X., Gong, F., Zheng, Y., Liu, D., and Wu, B., (2019). Genome-Wide Association Study Reveals Novel Genomic Regions Associated with High Grain Protein Content in Wheat Lines Derived from Wild Emmer Wheat. Front. Plant Science, 10.
- Luo, F., Deng, X., Liu, Y., and Yan, Y. (2018). Identification of phosphorylation proteins in response to water deficit during wheat flag leaf and grain development. Botanical studies, 59(1): 1-17.
- Ma, J., Tu, Y., Zhu, J., Luo, W., Liu, H., Li, C., Li, S., Liu, J., Ding, P., Habib, A., Mu, Y., Tang, H., Liu, Y., Jiang, Q., Chen, G., Wang, J., Li, W., Pu, Z., Zheng, Y., Wei, Y., Kang, H., Chen, G., Lan, X. (2020) Flag leaf size and posture of bread wheat: genetic dissection, QTL validation and their relationships with yield-related traits. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 133(1): 297-315.
- Mansoor, M. L., Al-Issawi, M. H., and Mhmood, J. N. (2021). Estimation of DREB Gene Expression in Wheat Genotypes (Triticum aestivum L.) Introduced to Anbar Governorate Under Water Stress. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 761(1): 012072. IOP Publishing.
- Mansour, M. L. (2021). Estimation of DREB Gene Expression in Wheat Genotypes (Triticum aestivum L.) Introduced to Anbar Governorate Under Water Stress. University of Anbar.
- Mirabella, N. E., Abbate, P. E., Ramirez, I. A., and Pontaroli, A. C. (2016). Genetic variation for wheat spike fertility in cultivars and early breeding materials. The Journal of Agricultural Science, 154(1): 13-22.
- Mishra, M., and Chun, D. M. (2015). α-Fe2O3 as a photocatalytic material: A review. Applied Catalysis A: General, 498: 126-141.
- Mohammed, A. K., Neama, A. S., Swaid, A. H., Abd Majeed, M. M., and Jaber, T. N. (2020). Effect of Irrigation Period on the Growth and Yield of Cultivars of Bread Wheat. Journal of Education and Scientific Studies, 3: 199-212.
- Nemie-Feyissa, D., Królicka, A., Førland, N., Hansen, M., Heidari, B., and Lillo, C. (2013). Post-translational control of nitrate reductase activity responding to light and photosynthesis evolved already in the early vascular plants. Journal of Plant Physiology, 170(7): 662-667.
- Planning and Follow-up in the Ministry of Agriculture. (2019).
- Poudel, M. R., Ghimire, S., P, M. P., Dhakal, K. H., Thapa, D. B., and Poudel, H. K. (2020). Evaluation of Wheat Genotypes under Irrigated, Heat Stress and Drought Conditions. Journal of Biology and Today’s World, 9(1): 1–12.
- Rahman, M. M., Mandal, M. S. N., Alam, M. A., Rahman, S., and Begum, N. (2017). Identification of drought tolerant spring wheat genotypes based on some of the physiological traits mm rahman1, msn mandal2, ma alam3, s. rahman4, n. begum5 and ih khalil6. sabrao j. Breed. Genet, 49(1): 104-115.
- Reza, M. T., Andert, J., Wirth, B., Busch, D., Pielert, J., Lynam, J. G., and Mumme, J. (2014). Hydrothermal Carbonization of Biomass for Energy and Crop Production. Applied Bioenergy, 1(1): 11–29.
- Schrader, L. E., Ritenour, G. L., Eilrich, G. L., and Hageman, R. H. (1968). Some Characteristics of Nitrate Reductase from Higher Plants. Plant Physiology, 43(6): 930.
- Shahbazi, H., Taeb, M., Bihamta, M. R., and Darvish, F. (2009). Inheritance of antioxidant activity of bread wheat under terminal drought stress. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Science, 6(3): 298–302.
- Singh, B., Singh, V., Singh, Y., Thind, H. S., Kumar, A., Singh, S., and Vashistha, M. (2013). Supplementing fertilizer nitrogen application to irrigated wheat at maximum tillering stage using chlorophyll meter and optical sensor. Agricultural Research, 2(1): 81–89.
- Wang, R., Liu, Y., Isham, K., Zhao, W., Wheeler, J., Klassen, N., ... and Chen, J. (2018). QTL identification and KASP marker development for productive tiller and fertile spikelet numbers in two high-yielding hard white spring wheat cultivars. Molecular Breeding, 38(11): 1-12.
- Wolde, G. M., Trautewig, C., Mascher, M., and Schnurbusch, T. (2019). Genetic insights into morphometric inflorescence traits of wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 132(6): 1661-1676.
Zhao, C., Bao, Y., Wang, X., Yu, H., Ding, A., Guan, C., ... and Cui, F. (2018). QTL for flag leaf size and their influence on yield-related traits in wheat. Euphytica, 214(11): 1-15.