EVALUATING THE IMPACT OF LIGHT CRUDE OIL CONTAMINATIONS ON GEOTECHNICAL BEHAVIORS OF THE SOIL
ANBAR JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES,
2021, Volume 19, Issue 2, Pages 143-157
AbstractCrude oil spills contaminate the soil in many ways including environmental impact and physical and chemical changes of the properties of the host soils. Organic liquids will affect the geotechnical behaviors of the soils. For better understanding of the soil behaviors as a function of oil contaminations a deep experimental investigation was conducted on kaolinite clay and sandy soils. These soils that were polluted by various amounts of crude oils (0%, 3%, 6%, 9%, 12%, and 15% by weight of dry soil). The geotechnical characteristics of the uncontaminated and contaminated soils were determined including the plasticity indices, compaction characteristics, hydraulic conductivity, and linear shrinkage limit. The outputs revealed a decline in dry density and optimum moisture content. The hydraulic conductivity of both soil types decreased due to oil contaminations. Crude oil contamination increased the plasticity indices and raised the linear shrinkage limit of clay soil. Oil-contaminated soil obligates improvements and maintenance prior utilization as construction materials or agricultural purposes
- Adam, G., and Duncan, H. (2002). Influence of diesel fuel on seed germination. Environmental Pollution, 120(2): 363–370. doi:10.1016/s0269-7491(02)00119-7.
- Akinwumi, I., Diwa, D., and Obianigwe, N. (2014). Effect of crude oil contamination on the index properties, strength and permeability of lateritic clay. International Journal of Applied Science and Research. 3: 816-824.
- Al-Aghbari, M., Dutta, R., and Mohamedzeini, Y. (2011). Effect of diesel and gasoline on the properties of sands—a comparative study. International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 5(1): 61-68.
- Al-Adili, A., Alsoudany, K. Y., and Shakir, A. (2017). Investigation of crude oil pollution effect on stiffness characteristics of sandy and gypseous soil. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 54(4): 276-282.
- Al-Sanad, H. A., and Ismael, N. F. (1997). Aging effect on oil contaminated Kuwaiti sand. ASCE J. Geotech. Geoenviron, 123(3): 290–294.
- Al-Sanad, H. A., Eid, W. K., and Ismael, N. F. (1995). Geotechnical properties of oil-contaminated Kuwaiti sand. Journal of geotechnical engineering, 121(5): 407-412.
- ASTM C356-10. (2010). Standard test method for linear shrinkage of preformed high-temperature thermal insulation subjected to soaking heat, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org.
- ASTM D4318-10. (2010). Standard test methods for liquid limit, plastic limit, and plasticity index of soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org.
- ASTM D2974-14. (2014). Standard test methods for moisture, ash, and organic matter of peat and other organic soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org.
- ASTM D854-14 (2014). Standard test methods for specific gravity of soil solids by water pycnometer, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org.
- ASTM D698–12. (2012). Standard test methods for laboratory compaction characteristics of soil using standard effort (12400 ft-lbf/ft3 (600 KN m m-1)), ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org.
- ASTM D2434-68. (2006). Standard test method for permeability of granular soils (Constant Head) (Withdrawn 2015), ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org.
- ASTM D5084–10. (2010). Standard test methods for measurement of hydraulic conductivity of saturated porous materials using a flexible wall permeameter, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, www.astm.org
- Chalermyanont, T. and Arrykul, S. (2005). Compacted sand-bentonite mixtures for hydraulic containment liners. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology, 27, 313-323.
- Chang, S. E., J. Stone, K. Demes, and Piscitelli, M. (2014). Consequences of oil spills: a review and framework for informing planning. Ecology and Society, 19(2): 26. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-06406-190226.
- Chew, S. and Lee, C. (2010). Simple shear behaviour of palm biodiesel contaminated soil. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 5 (12): 6-9.
- Estabragh, A. R., Khatibi, M., and Javadi, A. A. (2016). Effect of cement on treatment of a clay soil contaminated with glycerol. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 28(4), 04015157(1-10). Doi: 10.1061/ (asce) mt.1943-5533.0001443.
- Gee, G. W., and Or, D. (2002). Particle size distribution: in Dane JH., and Topp, G.C., (Eds.). Methods of soil analysis part 4 physical methods. Soil SCI. SO. Am. Book series No.5 ASA and SSSA, Madison WI, 201-228.
- Harsh G., Patel A., Himanshu B., and Tiwari, P. (2016). Effect of rate of crude oil contamination on index properties and engineering properties of clays and sands. Journal of Science and Technology, 9(30): 1-4. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i30/99193.
- Izdebska-Mucha, D., and Trzcinski, J. (2008). Effects of petroleum pollution on clay soil microstructure. Geologija, 50. No. 3(63). Supplement. P. 69–75. ISSN 1392-110X. DOI: 10.2478/V10056-008-0027-0.
- Jia, Y. G., Wu, Q., Shang, H., Yang, Zh. N., and Shan, H. X. (2011). The influence of oil contamination on the geotechnical properties of coastal sediments in the Yellow River Delta, China. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 70(3): 517-525.
- Kermani, M. and Ebadi, T. (2012). The effect of oil contamination on the geotechnical properties of fine-grained soils. Soil and sediment contamination: An International Journal, 21(5): 655-671.
- Khamehchiyan, M., Charkhabi, A. H. and Tajik, M. (2007). Effects of crude oil contamination on geotechnical properties of clayey and sandy soils, Engineering geology, 89(3-4): 220-229.
- Khosravi, E., H. Ghasemzadeh, M. R. Sabour., and Yazdani, H. (2013). Geotechnical Properties of Gas Oil- Contaminated Kaolinite. Engineering Geology, 8(166): 11-6.
- Lambe, T. W. (1958). The structure of compacted clay. Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, ASCE, 84: 1-34.
- Meegoda J. N., Chen B., Gunasekera S.D. and Pederson P. (1998). Compaction characteristics of contaminated soils – reuse as a road base material. Recycled materials in Geotechnical applications. Geotechnical special publication, 79: 165- 209.
- Mitchell, J. K. (1993). Fundamentals of soil behavior. John Wiley, New York. Rajasekaran, G and Narasimha Rao, S. (1995). Cation exchange studies on a lime treated marine clay. Journal of South East Asian Geotechnical Society, 26(1): 19-35.
- Nazir, A. K. (2011). Effect of motor oil contamination on geotechnical properties of over consolidated clay. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 50(4): 331–335. doi: 10.1016/j.aej.2011.05.002.
- Obeta, I. N. and Eze-Uzomaka, O. J. (2013). Geotechnical properties of waste engine oil contaminated laterites. Nigerian Journal of Technology, 32(2): 203-210.
- Olgun, M., and Yildiz, M. (2010). Effect of organic fluids on the geotechnical behaviour of a highly plastic clayey soil. Applied Clay Science, 48(4): 615-621 DOI: 10.1016/j.clay.2010.03.015.
- Rahman, Z. A., Hamzah, U., Taha, M. R., Ithnain, N. S. and Ahmad, N. (2010). Influence of oil contamination on geotechnical properties of basaltic residual soil. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(7): 954-961. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2010.954.961.
- Rojas, J., Salinas, L. and Garnica, I. (2003). Influence of the kinematic viscosity of oil contaminants in the compaction and hydraulic conductivity in certain type of soils. In: Groundwater Engineering: Recent Advances: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Groundwater Problems Related to Geo-environment, Okayama, Japan, 28-30 May, 2003. Taylor and Francis, 373.
- Santos, R. G., Loh W., Bannwart, A. C. and Trevisan, O. V. (2014). An overview of heavy oil properties and its recovery and transportation methods. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 31(3): 571-590.
- Shah, S. J., Shroff, A. V., Patel, J. V., Tiwari, K. C. and Ramakrishnan, D. (2003). Stabilization of fuel oil contamination soil - A case study. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 21: 415-427.
- Shin, E. and Das, B. (2000). Some physical properties of unsaturated oil-contaminated sand. Geotechnical Special Publication, 142-152. doi:10.1061/40510(287)9.
- Zahermand, S., Vafaeian, M., and Bazyar, M. H. (2020). Analysis of the physical and chemical properties of soil contaminated with oil (petroleum) hydrocarbons. Earth Sciences Research Journal, 24(2): 163-168. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15446/esrj.v24n2.76217.
- Article View: 60
- PDF Download: 43