University of Anbar, College of Agriculture
Document Type : Research Paper
A laboratory experiment was carried out in seed technology lab in department of field crop sciences/ College of Agriculture-University of Anbar in order to study effect of molybdenum in priming mung bean seeds (cv Local) under effect of induced drought by using PEG-6000. Four Mo concentrations were used 0, 15, 30, 45 mg L-1 while PEG-6000 was also used to get water stress of 0, -0.4, -0.8, -1.2 bar in medium of seed germination. The experiment was laid out RCBD with four replications for each treatments. The important results of the study showed that Mo application with concentration of 45 mg L-1 improved germination and growth of mung bean characteristics including plumule length (5.41 cm) and xylem dimensions in radical (2 mm2), Plumule epidermis (2.5 mm2) and xylem in plumule (3.5 mm2). However, the application of 15 mg L-1 improved radical length (6.47 cm), Radical epidermis (5 mm2), radical xylem dimensions (3.5 mm2) and phloem in plumule (3.5 mm2). It can be concluded from this study that the increase in water stress led to reduction in lab performance of germination and growth of mung bean seedlings, while the application of Mo enhanced it through the activation of some growth characteristics therefore it can be recommended using Mo in order to support growth and production of different crops.
- Al-Issawi, M., Rihan, H. Z., Woldie, W. A., Burchett, S., & Fuller, M. P. (2013). Exogenous application of molybdenum affects the expression of CBF14 and the development of frost tolerance in wheat. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 63, 77–81.
- Al-Jebory, K. D. H., & Al-Rukabi, M. N. M. (2017). Response of green bean to nitrogen fixing bacterial inoculation and molybdenum. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 48(2).
- Al-Saedi, A. J. H., & Al-Mentifji, H. N. H. (2016). Synergetic effect of water stress intervals and Concentration of selenium and brassinolide hormone in some phenotypic indicators and internal hormones of Coriandrum sativum L. Al-Mustanisryah Sciences Journal, 27(4), X635-1814.
- Al-Saleh, L., Hyass, B., & Abbas, F. (2019). Effect of Osmotic Potential Induced by Polyethylene Glycol (PEG6000) on the Germination of Five Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) Varieties. Syrian Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(3), 219–232.
- Bala Sinha, P., & Haniya, K. A. (2006). Genetic diversity in green gram [Vigna radiata (L.)] landraces analyzed by using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD). African Journal of Biotechnology, 5(13), 1214–1219.
- Bockheim, J. G., & Gennadiyev, A. N. (2000). The role of soil-forming processes in the definition of taxa in Soil Taxonomy and the World Soil Reference Base. Geoderma, 95(1–2), 53–72.
- Bressan, R. A., Hasegawa, P. M., & Handa, A. K. (1981). Resistance of cultured higher plant cells to polyethylene glycol-induced water stress. Plant Science Letters, 21(1), 23–30.
- Chen, Z., Zhao, P. X., Miao, Z. Q., Qi, G. F., Wang, Z., Yuan, Y., Ahmad, N., Cao, M. J., Hell, R., Wirtz, M., & Xiang, C. Bin. (2019). SULTR3s function in chloroplast sulfate uptake and affect ABA biosynthesis and the stress response. Plant Physiology, 180(1), 593–604.
- Crusciol, C. A. C., Ferrari Neto, J., Mui, T. S., Franzluebbers, A. J., Costa, C. H. M. da, Castro, G. S. A., Ribeiro, L. C., & Costa, N. R. (2019). Rhizobial Inoculation and Molybdenum Fertilization in Peanut Crops Grown in a No Tillage System After 20 Years of Pasture. Revista Brasileira de Ciência Do Solo, 43.
- Guerrier, G. (1988). Comparative Phosphatase Activities In Four Species During Germination In Nacl Media. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 11(5), 535–547.
- Hasanein S. Oleiwi, Muslim A. Abdulhussein, & Maher H. Salman. (2017). In Vitro Seed Culture as Simple and Rapid Method for Screening Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Cultivars Tolerance to Water Stress. Journal of Kerbala for Agricultural Sciences, 4(1), 27–39.
- Hayyawi, N. J., & Al-Issaw, M. H. (2019). Effect of molybdenum on some growth and yield characteristics of mung bean (Vigna radiate l.) under water stress conditions. 17(2), 123–138.
- Hellal, F. A., El-Shabrawi, H. M., Abd El-Hady, M., Khatab, I. A., El-Sayed, S. A. A., & Abdelly, C. (2018). Influence of PEG induced drought stress on molecular and biochemical constituents and seedling growth of Egyptian barley cultivars. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, 16(1), 203–212.
- Imanparast, L., & Hassanpanah, D. (2009). Response of onobrychis genotypes to PEG 10000 induced osmotic stress. Biotechnology, 8(3), 365–369.
- Kandil, H., Gad, N., & Abdelhamid, M. T. (2013). Effects of Different Rates of Phosphorus and Molybdenum Application on Two Varieties Common Bean of (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Journal of Agriculture and Food Technology, 3(3), 8–16.
- Khazaei, Z., & Estaji, A. (2020). Effect of foliar application of ascorbic acid on sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum) plants under drought stress. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 42(7), 118.
- Lushchak, V., & Semchyshyn, H. M. (2012). Oxidative Stress - Molecular Mechanisms and Biological Effects. In Oxidative Stress - Molecular Mechanisms and Biological Effects. InTech.
- Mendel, R. R. (2009). Cell biology of molybenum. In BioFactors (Vol. 35, Issue 5, pp. 429–434).
- Michel, B. E., & Kaufmann, M. R. (1973). The Osmotic Potential of Polyethylene Glycol 6000. Plant Physiology, 51(5), 914–916.
- Mohammed, A. K., & Kadhem, F. A. (2017). Effect of water stress on yield and yield components of bread wheat genotypes. 3(48), 729–739.
- Oertli, J. J. (1985). The response of Plant Cells to Different Forms of Moisture stress. Journal of Plant Physiology, 121(4), 295–300.
- Price, A. H., & Tomos, A. D. (1997). Genetic dissection of root growth in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Ii: Mapping quantitative trait loci using molecular markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 95(1–2), 143–152.
- Rehman S., Harris P.J.C., Bourne W.F., & Wilkin. (1997). The effect of sodium chloride on germination and the potassium and calcium contents of Acacia seeds. International Seed Testing Association Secretariat.
- Kamal, Jawad Abudul-Kareem, Al-Karhy, Maitham Abbas Jawad. (2017). Role of Bio Fertilization in Reduction of Water Stress in Growth Characteristics of Mung bean (Vigna radiata L.). Karbala Journal of Agricultural Sciences. Vol (1) issue (4): 167-183
- Shil, N., Noor, S., & Hossain, M. (2007). Effects of Boron and Molybdenum on the Yield of Chickpea. Journal of Agriculture & Rural Development, 5(1), 17–24.
- Sinclair, T. R., & Muchow, R. C. (1995). Effect of Nitrogen Supply on Maize Yield: I. Modeling Physiological Responses. Agronomy Journal, 87(4), 632–641.
- Skribanek, A., & Tomcsányi, A. (2008). Predicting water stress tolerance of malting barley varieties with seedlings PEG-reactions. Acta Biologica Szegediensis, 52(1), 187–189.
- Sionit, N., & Kramer, P. J. (1977). Effect of Water Stress During Different Stages of Growth of Soybean 1. Agronomy Journal, 69(2), 274–278.
- Tappel, A. L. (1978). Glutathione Peroxidase and Hydroperoxides. Methods in Enzymology, 52(C), 506–513.
- Valenciano, J., Boto, J., & Marcelo, V. (2011). Chickpea ( Cicer arietinum L.) response to zinc, boron and molybdenum application under field conditions. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science, 39(4), 217–229.
- Valifard, M., Moradshahi, A., & Kholdebarin, B. (2012). Biochemical and Physiological Responses of Two Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Cultivars to Drought Stress Applied at Seedling Stage. In J. Agr. Sci. Tech (Vol. 14, Issue 7). Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology.
- Verslues, P. E., & Sharp, R. E. (1999). Proline accumulation in maize (Zea mays L.) primary roots at low water potentials. II. Metabolic source of increased proline deposition in the elongation zone. Plant Physiology, 119(4), 1349–1360.
- Wahid, S. A. A. W. E. R. A. (2005). Comparative morphological and physiological responses of green gram genotypes to salinity applied at different growth stages. Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica.