Department of Food Science, College of Agriculture, Tikrit University, Iraq.
Document Type : Research Paper
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of water supported by dissolved oxygen in the drinking water of broilers, in their performance and some chemical blood traits. A total of 90 birds one-day old of the Ross308 were used. At The week the birds were distributed randomly in 3 groups with 3 replicates / group (10 birds / replicate). The first included T1: T2 and T3: Oxygen-supported drinking water at a rate of 2 hours /2 times/ day, 2 hours /3 times / day in succession. The results showed that drinking water with oxygen resulted in a significant increase in the mean body weight and weight increase and a significant improvement in the food conversion coefficient with a significant decrease in the feed consumption rate especially in the treatment (T3 when exposed birds three times a day (T3) T1 and T2, with significant decrease in serum glucose and cholesterol concentration in T2 and T3 compared with T1, and no significant differences were observed between the experimental parameters in total protein concentration and AST and ALT activity. These results indicate that oxygenated watering can be used as a tool to improve growth and physiological performance in broiler production .
- Al-Roubaie, S., Jahnsen, E. D., Mohammed, M., Henderson-Toth, C., and Jones, E. A. (2011). Rheology of embryonic avian blood. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 301(6): H2473-H2481.
- Akidarju, M. S., Onyemaechi, E. G., and Dauda, M. G. (2010). An assessment of some poultry management practices and disease recognition by poultry farmers in Maiduguri arid zone, Nigeria. World's poultry science journal, 66(2): 285-296.
- Barton, T. L., Hileman, L. H., and Nelson, T. S. (1986). A survey of water quality on Arkansas broiler farms and its effect on performance. Proc. of the 21st Mtg. on Poultry Health and Condemnations, University of Arkansas, 1-33.
- Degen, A. A., Kam, M., Rosenstrauch, A., and Plavnik, I. (1991). Growth rate, total body water volume, dry-matter intake and water consumption of domesticated ostriches (Struthio camelus). Animal Science, 52(1): 225-23.
- Dinçer, E., Karabayir, A., and Mendes, M. (2007). Effects of drinking water differing in dissolved oxygen concentration on growth performance of broiler. Archiv fur Geflugelkunde, 71(4):169.
- Duncan, D.B. (1955) Multiple range and multiple F- Test Biometric-11: 1-42 (6)
- Forth, W., and Adam, O. (2001). Uptake of oxygen from the intestine--experiments with rabbits. European Journal of Medical Research, 6(11): 488-492.
- Gruber, R., Axmann, S., and Schoenberg, M. H. (2005). The influence of oxygenated water on the immune status, liver enzymes, and the generation of oxygen radicals: a prospective, randomised, blinded clinical study. Clinical Nutrition, 24(3): 407-414.
- Jung, B. G., Lee, J. A., Nam, K. W., and Lee, B. J. (2011). Oxygenated drinking water enhances immune activity in broiler chicks and increases survivability against Salmonella Gallinarum in experimentally infected broiler chicks. Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, 1110050650-1110050650.
- Naji,S.A.(2006) The Broiler Productin Guide .Iraq Poultry. Association. (10)
- Shin, D., Cho, E. S. R., Bang, H. T., and Shim, K. S. (2016). Effects of oxygenated or hydrogenated water on growth performance, blood parameters, and antioxidant enzyme activity of broiler chickens. Poultry science, 95(11): 2679-268.
- Shin, D., Cho, E. S. R., Bang, H. T., and Shim, K. S. (2016). Effects of oxygenated or hydrogenated water on growth performance, blood parameters, and antioxidant enzyme activity of broiler chickens. Poultry science, 95(11): 2679-2684.
- Sommer, A. M., Bogusch, C., and Lerchl, A. (2007). Cognitive function in outbred house mice after 22 weeks of drinking oxygenated water. Physiology and behavior, 91(1): 173-179.
- SPSS (1998) User guide statically version, 6th ed.
- Testik, A. and Gelen M.F. (1996) Drinking water quality in poultry. National Poultry Symposium pp. 151–157.
- Yvonne, H. S., Tenggara, R., Suyatna, F. D., Surjadi, C., and Widjaja, N. T. (2009). The effect of oxygenated water in diabetes mellitus. Medical Journal of Indonesia, 18(2), 102-7.
- Zimmermann, N. G., WYATT, C. L., and Dhillon, A. S. (1991). Research note: Effect of electronic treatment of drinking water on growth performance of broiler chickens. Poultry science, 70(9): 2002-2005.